Sunday, July 1, 2012

Mortified

Apparently Mr W is growing up. I was taking him to camp last week and on the way from the car to the door of camp, we saw the older sister of one of his friends. I called out to her, and waved my hands to say hi. My thinking at the time is that she's a semi-dramatic tweener and would appreciate my little show of flair.

We got into Mr W's room and he is visibly upset. I have no idea what's going on, but he is beside himself and I can't recall having seen him like this before. I pull him aside and say, "What's going on?" He says something to the effect that I embarrassed him by waving my arms and that he does NOT like the friend's sister.

Wha?

And then I get it. He's got a crush on this girl and took my actions as trying to draw attention to HIM. I had no idea. I had to pull him aside again after he walked away. He asked if I would go and tell her that what I did had nothing to do with him, and I advised that it was probably better just to let it drop.

On my way back to the car, I thought about how this is sort of the first manifestation of a crush that I've seen in him, and that I was relieved that it was on a girl. I love him of course no matter what, and accept him for who and what he is no matter what, but I think it's easier in this world to make your way if you're in the majority for something like that.

Last night, I went to a baseball game with the single parent group. Mr W was camping with his dad as part of a schedule change, but I had planned the event so I went. There's a guy there who has a daughter the same age as Mr W and we commiserate about them together. The daughter is high on drama and is awkward at the same time, which makes for interesting interactions. At one point, I was going to tell her that her team got a run, and when I said her name, she turned around and said "What?!" in that tweener way that's like fingers on a chalkboard. Oy. Sort of glad I've got a boy to deal with. :-)

6 comments:

  1. Groaning pains. Alas transitioning from family to society is akward, I'm still workin on it myself at 50. LOL

    Actually though I am just looking for a way to contact you about your camper for sale and could not find an email so I meandered my way here. Is it still for sale?

    Moriah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks for leaving a post-related comment!

      Yes, it's still for sale. You can contact me at zipzelda@hotmail.com. Thanks for your interest.

      Delete
  2. You've seen the video my brother posted of me on the blog right? So all I have to say to you is "LASER TAG!"
    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all honesty, I never looked at the video because I figured you were embarrassed enough without one more person seeing it. But you know this feeling, huh?

      Delete
  3. Oy, is right. All this tweenie stuff makes me so glad I just read about it and don't have to live it! You're tough, though, and you'll make it...;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It makes for good blog fodder if nothing else. :-)

      Delete

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.