Saturday, October 27, 2012

Give it to me


With Sandy bearing down on the east coast of the US, I've been thinking about buying a generator. It seems to me like things could naturally go such that big storms get more common over time and it would be good to be ready for that.

Now, I know that many of you who read my blog come over from Mama Pea's or Susan's blogs, so you know your stuff about this sort of thing. What are your thoughts on this idea, and what should I look for in a generator? 

From the research I've done, it seems a 3000 watt one would be fine. Keeping the fridge on is tops, maybe a chest freezer in the future, too. I want to be able to have a couple of space heaters going or be able to run our room A/C unit. Then lights and computers :-)

I had another question along these same lines, but it escapes me at the moment. If you've got two cents' on this, let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. I bought a generator in 1999 just a month or so before the world was going to crash and burn because of being in a new millennium. I was living up north at the time, and we had occasional outages anyway, so I thought it was time to invest. I did use it a few times, and glad I had it, but keep in mind it is another gasoline engine to maintain. I take it out once a year and run it for a while, check the oil, put new gas in and add Stabil (a gasoline preservative) to the fresh gas. If you are not willing to do these things, the generator might not be ready when you need it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.