Friday, March 13, 2009

Me too, me too

I got into AZ today, and the weather is delightful. Sunny, and about 70 degrees. It's always fun to visit, although CB's working on a cold, and we'll just have to see if I come down with one as well . We've been pretty lucky in that regard so far.

He pointed out what by now has made the rounds so much that I won't link to it: the call-on-the-carpet of Jim Cramer by Jon Stewart of the Daily Show. We watched it twice today, and I have to say how impressed I am that Stewart gave voice to what so many of us are thinking these days. He took all of CNBC to task on this; Cramer was only the poster child.

I think Stewart's point was that CNBC is all about showmanship and tricks and gadgets, such that they weren't serving the regular investors out there whose 401Ks funded the unsustainable returns touted by some of these schemes. At any rate, Stewart got his points across with passion and he was articulate and just did a great job.

I have been trying to make sense of the economy these days by following Planet Money. It's a blog and podcast on NPR and recommend it very highly to anyone who wants to know how things could go so terribly wrong and shat can be done about it. Lots of good analyses with the lingo parts explained.

3 comments:

  1. Check out this post. http://tinyurl.com/codwyw

    I know what Stewart's point was, but really, he came off as a douchebag/bully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A douchebag? Really? I don't know, I think Stewart gave voice to the frustrations a lot of people are feeling these days. No, it wasn't an interview, and it's unfortunate that Cramer was told to be passive.

    But I think it was an acceptable way for Stewart to go after CNBC for the sentiment of the original reporter who appeared to blame the present economic troubles on "loser homeowners", as opposed to people whose business it is to manage money.

    Do you watch Cramer's show?

    And, more importantly, how's your FLS coming? I'm so excited to get the new yarn - I went with the Swish in a purply grey and I've messaged someone on Ravelry who used it for her FLS (and said she really liked it). I'm looking forward to getting going on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm ready for button hole number 2! Hitting the road tomorrow if I can get my laundry done...

    I have seen Cramer's show. I can take about 2 minutes before I have to change it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.