Sunday, December 18, 2011

The lead-up

Preparations for our big trip to Ohio are underway here at casa LindaCO. Yesterday was one of those sneaky sorts of days where it seemed there were just a couple of things to do, and then it got really busy and I was a half hour late to two things I wanted to do. I'm thankful that the people I dealt with had more perspective than I and were OK with it. I was reminded once to breathe.

Today is less regimented, but we've got several things to attend to so that we can have a smooth evening tomorrow night and just pack and get a good night's rest. I have to admit, I'm a little leery of traveling around the holidays, because of our, ahem, adventure last year. But we have direct flights at reasonable times of the day, and that's all I can do, you know? We'll have all of our stuff in carry-ons, including the new computer his dad and I have bought for Mr W. Don't ask me how I'm going to get it through security without him realizing it. I might just have to smile and say, "none of your beeswax, pal" and leave it at that.

He is very excited to go to OH and see the cousins and family. Me too. It's been a while since we were all together. Last year, I had to mention that it was time for Mr W to get a little something for the important people in his life. It didn't have to cost anything, but he needed to make a gesture, as that was what Christmas is about. So this past Friday, a full 12 days before Christmas, I pick him up from school and he says proudly, "Look what I got you for Christmas, mom!" Right then and there at school. It was one of those moments when the right thing to do was to stop and look at the items, not say, "No! I don't want to see it until Christmas". It was very sweet. And useful, too. I got a stirring spoon with a smiley face on it that I will have for years and always think of him - a perfect gift.

We have it good.

2 comments:

  1. Gotta admit I wouldn't be looking forward to traveling this time of year, but let's face it, sometimes it just has to be done to be together with loved ones . . . and I'm sure it will be worth it. Especially since it sounds like you've got everything planned as well as could be.

    Yup, things like that smiley face spoon tend to stay with a mom for years and years. Wanna see my clothespin-on-a-stand recipe card holder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of the practical gift (like anything that uses clothespins).

    Hope you have a good holiday, Mama Pea. My condolences that your little community has had to endure such a jolt.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.