Monday, October 6, 2008

The ever-growing Mr W


Well, it finally happened. I was putting laundry into the washing machine and came across a pair of gray pants. 'Oh, I don't remember wearing those' I thought. Then I realized they were Mr W's pants. Yes, he's gotten big enough that I mistook a pair of his pants for a pair of mine.

Last May, at the end of the school year, I laid in a supply of long pants from the consignment store that I was certain would fit him when the start of second grade rolled around. Lo and behold, I have 6 pairs of pants that he never wore and are now too short.

He's a tall kid already, one of the tallest in his class. I'm thankful that he won't be picked on because of his size (one less thing to worry about). I did tell him, though, that his size then more or less obligates him to speak up for the kids in his class that come up to his shoulder. I don't think he gets it yet, but one of these days I imagine he'll get the opportunity to stand with some kid who is being bullied and hopefully be of some help.

We went back to the consignment store last weekend and bought some more long pants and hopefully he'll be set for a while.

2 comments:

  1. Next step: shopping in the men's department!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek! It amazes me, though, how the size 8 pair of pants for Mr W costs the same as the size 20 pair, because they are lumped together in the same department, "Big Boys 8-20."

    I'm glad I can still shop at the consignment shop for the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.