Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A tad conflicted

Let me start out by saying that I love my job. I like it that my boss leaves me be to get my work done, and as long as the hours are in, he doesn't care when I work them. I also get a lot of say in what projects I work on, and we have funding to the extent that I don't have to scrounge to buy reagents.

Doing mosquito fieldwork is not my favorite, but I haven't had to do all that much. Having to attract mosquitoes with horse manure laced water has its downsides. On the upside, I'm going to Denver today (about an hour's drive south) to collect more egg rafts out of trash cans that have water in them. It's easy, and if it works it gets us another colony population to work with.

While I'm down there today, I'm also meeting with the associate director of research at the botanic gardens in Denver. I'll do it more or less on my lunch hour, so I'm not worried about using work time to do this, but I feel a little weird, seeing as I like my current job, that I'm inquiring about another. One that I would likely have to move to Denver for.

But Mr W and I were down there the other day, and even though he wasn't all that interested, and it was hot, I was blown away by the gardens. I loved the feel of the place so much that I sent my CV to this person. I had also heard through the grapevine that they were going to start a conservation genetics program so it was a good time to see what their plans are. I was a Botany major, and I do want to work with plants again someday.

So, we'll see how it goes.

I finally started preparing lectures for this intro biology course I'm teaching and haven't slept well ever since. I should have started earlier, and I will have enough time, and it's not that I don't know the material (water is the universal solvent, by the way). But I'm not in the groove of giving my free time to this class yet. It will happen, but I don't think I'm going to rest easy until I'm about three weeks ahead on lectures and have the other stuff like assignments, and quizzes, in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.