Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Happy Birthday, Judy


My mom passed in 1993. She would have been 73 today. I still think of her often. It usually makes me cry when I consider that she'd be proud of me, and that she and Mr W would get along famously. I want to tell her thanks, that her influence helped shape who I am today. Thinking about the double-whammy of having both she and my sister gone is sometimes a big whammy indeed.
Both mom and Kris died of cancer (pancreatic and colon, respectively) and I don't want to die in my 40's or 50's. I'd just as soon be doddering about in my garden at 80, thank you very much. To this end, I enlisted the help a couple of years ago of a doctor who is an internist and specializes in cancer and women's health. Dr. R. rocks. Dr. R helps me take good care of myself, and I feel like we're on top of things. She's got my whole history, asks good questions, and is really good at getting results from other doctors (like the dermatologist, and the mammogram people, and the folks who x-rayed my hip a while ago).
I had my yearly physical today and I told Dr. R. that I haven't felt this good for a long time. Over the last couple of years I had hip stuff, back stuff, elbow stuff and shoulder stuff that would bug me periodically. It all feels good at the moment, and I feel like I need to take advantage of this, so I'm making efforts to get stronger. There are 147 steps between the entrance of the building and the floor where my office space is, and I'm trying to do the stairs at least once a day. I want to hike and bike more this summer, and get the dog and the kid out with me as much as possible. My blood pressure was good, and my cholesterol is acceptable. I mention these things not to boast, but to give thanks, as the rest of my family takes meds for both conditions.
It was a fitting acknowledgement of Mom's birthday today. I'm trying to take good care of myself as best I can in hopes that I can have many more years ahead of me.

4 comments:

  1. Linda:
    I believe I come close to being able to say, I understand how you feel. After losing my dad at 59 and sister at 35 to cancer, I fully utliize the diagnostic aspects of tradtional medicine. Like you, I attempt to take good care of myself; it is a deliberate focus. Your post brought tears to my eyes, for you and for me. Happy Birthday, Judy. You would, indeed, have reason to be very proud of your daughter.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice post! You resemble your mom a lot!

    Sending an extra cyber hug to you today from northeastern Minnesota!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.