Friday, April 23, 2010

Waiting while the weeds grow

It's been raining, raining, raining. It's funny to me (and probably annoying to the rest of the world) how cranky Coloradoans get when there's more than a couple of days of rain. We're on day 2, and I'd very much like to get garden stuff done this weekend, but that may or may not happen.

No one really complains about the rain without a little tip of the hat to the fact that we need the water. We always need the water. As a place that gets 14"-17" of rain a year, every sprinkle is appreciated.

But the weeds! The people that owned the house before me landscaped the front 8' of the house with pea gravel, large pavers, a garden area, and a little porch. This has been a good lesson for me because I will not use pea gravel in the future. The weeds are relentless in this stuff, I don't know why. I've got some kind of Sedum that is plentiful, and at the moment, there's some kind of wild lettuce that's making a play to cover all the gravel. And it's raining. I will probably try to get out there when there's a break in the rain and pull a few - the soft soil is conducive to that. I also resort to Roundup for this area when things dry out. There. I admit it.

In other news, it's the new normal around here, with me getting used to not checking my email 30 times a day to see if anyone on the online dating site wants the pleasure of my correspondence. It's a relief, and I feel like I can now devote that mental energy to more important things and be OK with just kind of keep my eyes open for a while. I'm sleeping better, and that's good. Me and Mr W are going to Denver tomorrow to visit the aquarium. He wanted to go, so we'll go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.