Thursday, January 8, 2009

Good Timing


I injured my hip years ago in a freak accident that happened while I worked as a camp counselor, involving the game of Capture the Flag and an embarrassing fall. Up until the last year or so, it hasn't bothered me much.

I'm not sure if it's just age (*sniff*) or what, but it's easier to tweak it now, and if I rotate my knee too far out - ouch.

Not wanting it to get worse, and hoping there's something I can do to make it a little better, I finally saw my doctor about it to start the process. I was a bit dismayed when I walked in and there were four people behind the desk working, and I still stood there for 5 minutes before someone helped me.

But I got in right after that, and my doctor said we'd start with an x-ray. Fine, and I could go across the street to the hospital's branch office-type thing, where they do imaging and lab work. "I can just walk in?" I ask, a bit incredulous. "Sure, you might as well get it over with."

I agreed, and headed over there expecting to spend an hour or two waiting. Much to my surprise, someone greeted me as soon as I walked in, and directed me to a check-in person. This person took my info, and I did acknowledge to myself how easy it was for me to do this because I have insurance. I just fork over my little card, and I'm in. Thank you, employer.

"OK, I'll take you back," she says, and we go back to the changing room. No one's in there, and I put on the scrub pants for the xray and am just pulling out my knitting when the tech comes in and takes me to the room.

Zap, zap. It's all done in 5 minutes and I'm walking out to my car, marveling at how nicely the timing worked out. Anymore, I'm OK with waiting for a bit because it lets me knit, and I think it's funny when I'm kind of deprived of the opportunity.

It will take a couple of days to see if they can see anything on the image, but I'm glad the process has started.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.