Friday, October 28, 2011

The one that started it


This is the bracelet that I bought a couple of weeks ago that started my obsession interest in putting my own spin on making something similar. This morning, before I got out of bed, I checked my auctions on eBay (only two of them) and found I had been outbid. I upped my bid from the comfort and safety of my own bed.

As you can see, there's a bunch of elements, copper coils, ladies watch faces, a couple of gears. Next to the rectangular watch face is a little pop of purple, hard to see. It's a small half-domed clear piece of plastic or glass that I think really adds something to the piece. Just a little zap of color. My plan is to work with polymer clay to add another kind of element. Still in development, but I hope to spend some time on it this weekend. Along with hitting the flea markets looking for non-working watches, and learning how to coil wire so it lays flat. The glue I bought smells so strongly, I think I'll have to buy something else. Anyone readers know it that dissipates or if there's a less smelly product?

Once I get done, I'm going to give a couple away to friends to see what the design issues are. I know they aren't particularly durable. The flower-shaped medallion on this bracelet came off when I was putting on my lab coat at work the other day.  My design has fewer points to catch on coats. The other thing I liked about this is the scale. A lot of what I looked at on Etsy was larger in proportion, and I just wouldn't wear it. I like my bling on a smaller scale.

I ended up listing the van on cars.com. No nibbles yet, but the ad has only been up for a couple of days. I'm resigned to keeping it over the winter until interest picks up in the spring. We had that big snow storm on Tuesday night, and in the end got almost 10" of snow. One of the trees on my treelawn (the patch between the sidewalk and the street) split at the base and two 6" trunks came to rest on the van. I cut those away and the van seems fine. The trees around town took a big hit, though, as many still had their leaves on them. It's tough being a deciduous tree in CO. I'm hoping that the remaining half of the tree is OK, as it provides a nice privacy screen in front of my bedroom window.

Going to see live music tonight! Out with the friend that I dated briefly who likes the same kind of music. No expectations, and I like that. We're seeing Greensky Bluegrass. They've got a banjo player, so it's likely my kind of music.

3 comments:

  1. Love the bracelet! I am an accessories junkie and bracelets are pretty much my favorite thing. Except for shoes. Oh, and scarves.

    Also jealous of your local access to live music!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I know Steampunk and repurposed/recycled things are "in" right now, so you may do well with these. Sadly, I just can't seem to make myself follow trends like this. I make what I make, and any attempt to deviate from my preferred style is usually short-lived :) I can, however, give you lots of tips on selling on Etsy! Probably nothing you can't find yourself in time, but it's always useful to have someone of whom you can ask questions. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carla - It started late, was too crowded, and too loud. So much for seeing acts in this particular venue...

    Alison - I was hoping you'd chime in! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.