Thursday, August 22, 2013

Something I hadn't considered

I've been having some back and hip pain lately. Stiffness, mostly. I have wanted to incorporate some stretching into my exercise routine, but just have not managed to do so. I did morning yoga with the PBS lady for about a year, but it's been five years. No wonder I'm stiff.

In the minor upheaval that has been August, where my kitchen is being remodeled, I have closed my Etsy shop to work on new things, suspended my banjo lessons and am very busy at work, I also did not sign up for another three months of the spinning class I've been faithfully going to twice a week for almost the last three years because I need to structure that stretching time.

I went over to one of the local health clubs in town and signed up for a month to month membership because they offer spinning, yoga, and a couple of other group fitness things. There are several classes to choose from most days, and I live about the same distance from the north and the central locations, so I get even more choices. I haven't told my spin ladies that I'm leaving yet, but this is the right decision for me at this time.

I had an evaluation by one of their trainers. They did a strength test (meh), flexibility (it was so low, she had to do it twice), and cardio. The cardio had me step up and down on a stool for three minutes to the timing of a metronome, then she took my heart rate. I came out on the high end of "very good", which made me happy. I may be overweight and not flexible, but my heart is good.

Well, I went to my first yoga class last night. It was called "Deep Stretch Yoga". Holy cow. I knew I was tight around my hips and back, but man-o-man, I had no idea how much. I was late because I got stopped by a train, something that is sadly common in that part of town during rush hour, and sort of ducked in, grabbed a mat and followed along. I loved this class. They freely use props like foam support blocks, folded blankets, and pillow bolsters for support in the poses. You just shim in what you need and try to hold the pose for the 3 minutes or so. It was AWESOME! She worked on some relaxation stuff and breathing. It was all I had hoped. I will stop gushing now.

Here's a kitchen picture from two days ago. Yesterday they started on cabinets, but it's not light enough in there yet today to take a picture (no lights).


The plaster on the walls and ceiling is done and it is smooth and lovely. The rest of the house has old lathe and plaster, some covered with wall paper, so the smooth texture fits with the rest of it. They got the old gas line out as well. 

I need to take some garden pictures. I've been very pleased with the big zinnias and Black Eyed Susans I've planted from seed, and will do even more cut flower varieties next year. I really like having a little bouquet on the table. This was taken on the window they will be replacing soon, hence all the debris.





4 comments:

  1. I have never in my whole life been very flexible. Tried a yoga class once to try to limber me up but the instructor was a bit too gung-ho and it HURT! (Daughter took it with me and had the same reaction.)

    Curious how many bloggers I read are talking about putting in more flowers next year. Me included. I love cut flowers in the house whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! I did have a good instructor - I think that makes a difference. Yea flowers!

      Delete
  2. I used to take a Monday night yoga class and it made my week. I loved it. Now, living out in the boondocks, the only classes that are offered are at times I can't make. I have a great dvd, but I need a group class to motivate my lazy asterisk. I'm glad you've found a good class - being more flexible will help you with everything feeling better! Can't wait to see the cabinets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The group thing is true for me, too. The long stretches take patience, and it's hard to make myself do that at home.

      Delete

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.