Friday, August 23, 2013

The beginning of cabinets

As someone mentioned to me, it really starts looking like a kitchen once the cabinets start going in.


I would like to say here and now that I LOVE the cabinets, which is a good thing because I don't think there's any going back on this part of it. I'm not sure if they will drill holes for knobs, but right now it's all smooth. You can see the corner where I got a lazy susan. I think that makes good use of the space. For some reason, the original layout had both corners (this one and the one to my left as I took the photo) with 8" doors and then about three feet of space into the corner. It's lots of storage, but a small opening. Now, it's just the one corner to my left that's like that. Design restriction, I guess.


When I got to work yesterday, it occurred to me that they would likely hang the upper cabinets, so I called the contractor and asked if I should come home and get the tile out that I bought for the backsplash. I also told him he was welcome to gather it in the three spots I had stored the boxes, and gave a very detailed text as to the order. This is it! Well, turn it 90 degrees and it is it. I love this, too. It'll be 18" of tile all together. 

I came home yesterday and the window was gone, replaced with plastic sheeting. There are more cabinets that got put up yesterday, but again it's too dark in there this morning yet to take photos. There's also a spec sheet for the sink I picked, so it's probably in the garage. 
Squee!


5 comments:

  1. Lookin' good! Even though lazy susans in cabinets are initially expensive, there's no other way to go for a corner cabinet like that. And the thing is once you pay for it, it's there forever and ever and ever! And well worth it.

    Thanks for sharing the progress with us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, having one of each now, I can see that the lazy susan is going to be more practical in terms of accessing stuff. Maybe I can stuff the bread bags and rubber bands back in the corner of the other cabinet.

      Delete
  2. It's going to be GORGEOUS! I am so envious of your lazy susan cabinets. I have corner cabinets that are huge wastes of space. Of course, all my hillbilly tupperware is in there - pushed into the dark recesses. That tile is going to look amazing as a back splash. You may never want to leave your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Editing my tupperware "collection" when I cleared out the kitchen was a liberating activity and I highly recommend it. Everything without a corresponding top or bottom was recycled.

      Delete
    2. Ah, yes, Tupperware collections . . . when my daughter and I had to clear out my mom's house, we were AMAZED at the amount of Tupperware she had. Relatives were invited in and took away boxes and boxes! And there was still some left we took to a second hand shop.

      Delete

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.