Wednesday, August 28, 2013

And we wait


Things are looking good in the kitchen. The cabinets are in and I've waited for two days now for the counter top people (who are also the flooring people) to schedule a time to come in and do the counters. This does not come as a surprise to me. The salesperson at the flooring/counter store has been in no hurry at all to follow up with what I've wanted. I definitely won't recommend his company in the future. Hopefully today I'll hear something.

But I love the cabinets. The color is lovely and there is a ton of storage space. That's a wine rack to the left of the hole for the dishwasher. There was a bit of miscommunication about that, where it was originally a wine rack, then the contractor said we could make it into a space for cookie sheets, and then it ended up a wine rack. That's fine. I'll buy some wine. 

I've been super busy at work with a load of timed experiments that have to happen on mosquitoes that are 3-7 days old. It's been go go go since last Friday with that, but today should be the last day. The results are good and interesting and I've got boxes full of tubes of dead mosquitoes that died after a certain amount of time exposed to insecticides, so that's very good. 

I did apply for the university job and turned in my application yesterday. That also was a lot of work, and although I had a month to work on it, I did most of it in the last few days. I'm satisfied that the application (cover letter, CV, research statement, teaching statement) represents my qualifications and experience adequately, so that's good. It will be interesting to see if I even get an interview. I need to tell my boss and his boss that I put them down as references. I know they'll understand because it's a really good opportunity, but I still feel a little smarmy doing it.

And it's been hot this week. Mr W's school is not air conditioned, so they've got these huge fans moving air through, and they keep the lights down. I know I can't do anything about it except make sure he's got his water bottle, and I do.

Hopefully now that the timed experiments are winding down, the application is in, and the kitchen is almost done, things will feel like they are less rushed.


2 comments:

  1. My gosh, your plate is full! I should say your PLATTER is full! I love the look of the kitchen so far - and what a neat idea to use that small space for wine bottles (that said, being partial to wine, myself). I always wanted a place for cookie and baking sheets, too. There is never a good space for them. Good luck with the university job. I am sure your boss(es) will understand, as it's a secure position with - I assume - tenure possibility? And how is it that you can make dead mosquitoes sound interesting? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I'll be OK having a few bottles of wine in the house - just for show of course.

      It is a tenure track position, so a really good opportunity. One of the things I like about working with mosquitoes is that no one really cares if you kill them in the name of science :-)

      Delete

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.