Saturday, March 26, 2011

Home Again

I am back home after my trip to CA for work and a spot of play. It was a good trip. I gave a good talk, and am hopeful that the extra three months of work that my boss is trying to finagle will come through. Or, that I will get a good job before then. I had my classic anxiety dream last night, wherein I am back working at the nature center in Toledo that I worked at (happily) before moving to CO. In the dream, and it is always the same theme, I am back working there, and there is a group of kids coming, SOON, and I need to present part of the day's programing to them without any preparation.

In this dream, though, there were more details, and it was one of the those dreams that seemed to last most of the night. I remember saying, as I have before in this dream, "I sometimes dream that I'm back here to work". Wacky.


Anyway, here are a few shots from the trip. This was much more of a professional/trade show type conference than the academic ones I am used to. This is one of the workers there, and behind her, you can just glimpse the exhibit hall. I had no idea there were so many products to kill mosquitoes with. Must be pretty lucrative, too, because those displays were really nice.


It rained the first day I was there, to my surprise. Here's a genuine west coast snail, trying to get out of the rain by coming up on the sidewalk. Its shell was about an inch across.


I really did laugh out loud when I saw the sign on this Mickey statue. Sure, put up a totally climbable statue and tell everyone to stay off. 



We went to dinner one night at a New Orleans-themed restaurant. I had shrimp and grits and it was really good and really salty. The piano was totally covered with rhinestones, which reflected white in the picture, but you can kind of see on the sides of it.


Around the same area of the restaurant, there was a shopping district and I found this nice purple-flowered shrub. I have no idea what it is.


On to Palm Springs. After the conference, I took a shuttle to the airport, rented a car, and drove to see my SIL, who was visiting family in Palm Springs. I won't bore you with the details of the trip, but everything they say about California traffic is true. There are just so many people packed into that space. Here's a gas station that actually still offers full-serve gas - but it's going to cost you.


One of the botanically (and gastronomically) awesome things about southern CA is that there are citrus trees grown as ornamentals in people's yards. We picked these from the tree in the front yard, and there were also lemons and oranges about. I love that kind of stuff. And they were good, too.


This is the view out the back door of where I stayed. Just lovely. They plant annuals in the winter that we plant in the summer, and then come through as it gets hot and pull them out to leave the desert landscaping to get through those hot summers. It was a really nice visit.

I planted some seeds before I left, and they have germinated. I need to get out today and turn my compost pile again. I'd like to get the soil prepped in one part of my bookcase raised beds, so I can plant peas. It's fun to be thinking about gardening again. I got the job application submitted for the job I really want, and want to send in a couple more resumes to companies that don't have anything at the moment, but might, blah, blah, blah. It'll work out.

5 comments:

  1. I fell in love with shrimp & grits in Atlanta last June! The dish varies a lot, I had them at two different restaurants and definitely preferred one over the other. The best were the cheddar jalapeno variety at Roux on Canton in Roswell. http://bellonaofavalon.blogspot.com/2010/06/shrimp-grits.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and your purple flowering shrub looks like an azalea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey -

    Good to hear they are trying to keep you longer...that would help. Looks like you had a good time in CA. RTK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. It does look similar, but I don't think it was an azalea - no exerted stamens (to be botanical about it). But pretty nonetheless.

    RTK - sounds like you guys had fun too, but will do baseball next year. Any more thoughts on summer? We had talked briefly about OR. Plans are starting to form as far as camps and trips and stuff, so maybe we should all chat one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should have known that your plant knowledge far exceeds mine! I do love azaleas, they are hardy, they thrive under even my brown thumb. There are newer cultivars that claim to survive the SD winter!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.