Friday, November 2, 2012

And next, we have Linda on the banjo


I have my first ever banjo recital tomorrow. I'm trying hard not to get tweaked out about it, because it doesn't mean anything, and I know the songs, and it's a more than friendly crowd, and most importantly, I WANT to have this experience. 

I'm doing two songs, Blackberry Blossom, which is sort of old-timey/bluegrass, and Cripple Creek (not the one by The Band...). They are songs I have played as practice for months and months, so I know them very well. It's funny how each time you play, though, it's a little different. 

The picture above is from a jam that my instructor had a couple of weeks ago. That's me and my banjo in a contemplative moment there on the right. Actually, I didn't know the song, and there was someone to my immediate left, so I was holding the banjo upright while I was waiting, to make a little more space. 

As an aside, can you see my shoes? I do most of my clothes shopping at the consignment store. It takes more time, but it's so much cheaper that it is largely worth it. It's hard to find shoes that work for me because I think if shoe are comfortable, people hang onto them. As a result there are a lot of 5" pumps for sale and, well, I just don't have occasion to wear such shoes. But I was perusing the racks the other day, and happened upon the mules you see in the photo. They are really pointy-toed, they have a 2" heel, and they look like cowboy boots, although they cover just a little more than what a regular tie-up shoe would. In other words, they are cool shoes that I probably would never buy. And they fit! And they were $18! So I had to have them. They are not walkin' shoes, but I loves them anyway. 

OK, back to the jam/recital. I'm glad my instructor hosts these jams, because they, like going to the Old Time jam downtown, are such good practice. In my mind, this music is meant to be played as part of a group. 

But she also hosts a cool recital once a year, at the local Grange. I remember when Mr W took piano lessons for a year, he had a recital and it was about what you'd expect. Kids in their good clothes playing the same piece of music over and over. No. This recital is more like a party, where there is food and drink and everyone has chosen what they will play. My instructor will play along with me, and sing the words to Cripple Creek. 

I'll see if I can get someone to shoot a video. It'll all be over in about 3 minutes. Then I'm having a glass of wine. 

8 comments:

  1. You could always have a glass of wine first and really enjoy yourself! ;o} Would love to see/hear a video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YES! We MUST HAVE the video!!! I just love the banjo and can't tell you enough how much I admire you for jumping in there and learning it! I also love those shoes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK then. Video it is. Thanks, it has been fun to learn and I like that there is a lot more to learn.

      Delete
  3. Video? Yes please! The banjo is a magical instrument and I've inherited a love of bluegrass from my Dad.

    Good score on the mules; I love little boot-type things. They make me feel.......sassy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, the masses have spoken. I will post video. :-)

      I have enjoyed getting to know banjo music for sure.

      SASSY! That is exactly how I feel in them. Thanks for the right word.

      Delete
  4. How exciting! Wish I could be there to hear you live. With any luck, maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.