Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Craft show recap


I did my first craft show last Saturday, and it went just fine. I sold about $150 worth of my stuff. Not as much as I had hoped, but not bad considering there were only 12 vendors. The set up was kind of odd, as my table was in a cluster of tables and the vendors were in the area inside the cluster, and it was cramped. I had Mr W with me, and I thought we'd be able to sit together and he'd help me, but there wasn't room for a second chair. He camped out in the kitchen of the gallery, and had his computer so was fine, although a little buggy at the end of the day.

I didn't forget to bring anything, I did the sales tax correctly, and people were very nice. I sold a little bit of each type of item I had, except the buttons. The thing I sold most of were the $3 book marks. The little bags I have to hold things are too small, so I need to order larger ones (yes, this post is also to remind me of things). Several people looked at my bracelets and said, "I've never seen anything like that". Thanks! 

I made the display boards from cupboard doors that I got at the place in town that sells salvaged doors, windows, etc. I might redo the holes, move them up and farther apart, so I can fit more on the boards. I went to an estate sale and got the matching napkins. I like the effect. I even ironed them! 

I admit I had some anxiety about doing a craft show (yes, I'm a little embarrassed at that sentence) that has since evaporated with me thinking, "what was I tweaked out about?" The anxiety is about not knowing how things will go. Simple uncertainty. It's good to have that every once in a while because it shows me that getting tweaked isn't worth the effort. 

One show down, two or three to go. I'm going to make some ornaments this weekend, but otherwise have enough stock to do the rest of the shows. 

2 comments:

  1. That's a nice display, Linda. Are your bookmarks available on your etsy site? They look like the perfect stocking stuffers for a few folks on my holiday list! The unknown is always good for tweaking, isn't it? You'll be an old hand at craft fairs before the year is over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thanks. I have a couple up at this link:
      http://www.etsy.com/shop/Physaria?section_id=12252698

      I have about 10 more to photograph and get up on the site, and will be making more in the next couple of weeks as well. Thanks for your interest.

      Delete

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.