Thursday, November 1, 2012

Yawn

Happy Day of the Dead! It was a good Halloween last night. It's not unusual at all for Halloween to be cold and snowy here, so the mild weather brought out a lot of trick or treaters. I live one house off of a major trick or treat destination, where people drive their kids in, park on the side streets like mine, and work up and down that avenue.

Given that my dear dog barks (as I'm pretty sure I want her to do) at everyone that comes to the door, I decided I'd sit outside with my laptop and candy bowl and hand out candy that way. That worked pretty well. The people I bought my house from (7 years ago!) stopped by, with the little girl whose birth prompted their move saying, "this is our old house!". How fun. They've got two kids now and we chatted for a bit. I love this house and its location and told them so.

I've been trying to get up earlier, given Mr W's middle school schedule, so my alarm is now set for 5:05 am. I most definitely do not pop out of bed rarin' to go, but don't use the snooze button and don't fall back to sleep while NPR is playing on my clock radio. This is going fairly well, and I'm trying to get to bed a little earlier so I get 7 hours or so.

All week, I've been sleeping for almost exactly 5 hours, then I wake up, use the facilities, and go back to bed for a couple more hours. Several times in the last couple of weeks, I've woken up at 3:08, or 3:13. I think it's wild that a body/mind can wake up at the same time fairly often.

Last night worked the same, but instead of just waking up after a dream ended, I was dreaming that I had my hand down near the edge of some covers on a bed, and a scorpion scuttled out, got on my hand and stung me! I could feel the stinger, like a needle, then it took it out. I was afraid to brush it away because I thought it would bite me, too. I think that's why I didn't brush it off. Note to self: scrape that little nasty thing off post-haste should you ever encounter one on your hand, OK?

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had fun :)

    We had no candy this year, but mostly that's because we almost never get anyone. For some reason, even though there are a lot of kids in the neighborhood, everyone goes someplace else to trick or treat. It was disappointing when Scarlett was little, because we were hoping we could at least take her to a few houses around the cul de sac where people knew her, but no one was ever home and we stopped trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that is sad, Alison. I agree, every kid should get the chance to get the pillowcase full of candy.

      Delete
  2. We get very few trick or treaters here and it was definitely too cold to sit outside. Funny thing, Lily (my goldendoodle) barks like that as well so I'm wondering if it might be a breed trait? In our neighbourhood I'm very glad she does so!

    Scary dream! Spiders, snakes, etc... don't spook me but let me see a scorpion and I freak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm overall glad that Sally will bark. I just wish I could push a button on her and have her not do it for short periods of time! I don't think I've ever even seen a scorpion. Weird.

      Delete

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.