Thursday, November 15, 2012

No mind readers

I am outraged, outraged, I tell you that my 17 year old car is starting to have problems. Well, not really, but there's a tiny part of me that is sad because this feels like the beginning of the end for my trusty 1995 Civic.

It's running fine, and starts up without protest. There's just little things that one would expect to fail on such an old vehicle that are starting to fail. The A/C stopped working last summer, for example. Recently, I was walking past the driver's side, rolling the trash can back to its spot by the garage, and my hip bumped the side mirror, breaking it such that it swivels now, and is pointing down. Sigh. A headlight went out this week, too.

17 years on the original two headlights. That is impressive, and I'm not really complaining that these relatively minor things are going wrong. They are a forecast of things to come and it's time to look for a new car.

I had thought about walking into a dealership and just getting exactly what I wanted. I've already decided to keep the Civic, as a second beater car and because it's not worth much. But common sense prevailed and I made an appointment with my wonderful mechanic to give the Civic a once-over and oil change it needs to get it in as good of shape as possible to buy me time to look for a car. The end of the year is supposed to be a good time to buy a car, right?

Having sold the van, and living by myself, taking the car in for service presents some mobility challenges. What I usually do is put my bike in the trunk, drive to the mechanic's (1/2 mile) and ride my bike home. Then I ride my bike to work the next day (3 miles), and also back to the mechanic's to get my car.

Yesterday, I was at my spinning class (the biking kind) thinking that I had to then go home and put the bike in the trunk, etc. Somehow, the idea popped into my head to say to the class, "Hey, I need a favor, could someone follow me to my mechanic's and give me a ride home?" Two people volunteered, and J, who lives up the street from me, gave me a ride.

No one would have known of my predicament if I hadn't spoken up, you know? I'm normally firmly in the mindset that I have to figure out a way to do these things on my own, but not always. She was glad to help, and I think people often are if you don't abuse the privilege.

6 comments:

  1. I think you're absolutely right. More often than not, people want to help- it makes them feel good. We (or at least I) seem to have this double standard that is OK for others to ask us for help but not OK for us to ask. What's up with that. It's something I'm working on as well.
    Good luck with the car issues.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy - thanks. I agree with the double standard idea. We're very willing to step up, but less so to ask.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Linda. I am facing the same thing with my trusty Ford Focus. Which I love more than is healthy for woman+car. And you are so right - we become so self-reliant that we forget to ask for help. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I have similar feelings about the Civic. Does yours have a name? I never named mine.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes the greatest gift you can give another is letting them help out...even if you don't 'really' need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! But difficult for me to put in practice. I guess I don't want to feel vulnerable or something.

      Delete

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.