Sunday, April 3, 2011

Haiku #2 and Spring notes




Yesterday I bought a few bags of Sheep and Peat yesterday, and worked that into the soil of my raised beds. After trying to keep up with turning compost and watering the pile during this really dry winter, I have no finished compost to give to my garden this year. I guess it's going to be a two year process. I have a spin composter for my kitchen scraps and that goes pretty fast, especially now that it's warming up. I wish I could just throw compostable stuff on a pile and leave it alone, but I don't have the space.

I also shored up the raised beds by putting wood screws in at the corners, and will be switching what is grown in each bed, so I moved the trellis and planted lettuce and peas yesterday. The garden center where I bought single starts of lettuce last year had their lettuce in four-cell packs, so I bought two, one green, one red. That's a lotta lettuce. I also got my snap peas planted, and planted a lot - most of a package. It feels good to be underway.

Last night, I woke up around 2:30 to the smell of smoke. It has been a really dry winter, so my thought, after I sniffed around my appliances and found nothing on fire, was that it was a wildfire somewhere. Sure enough, there's a fire burning west of town and the wind blew the smoke right into town. Humans must have some really basal mechanism that says, "Hey! Fire! Don't sleep, you might have to flee!" because the rest of the night I was restless. At the time I write this, it's 2000 acres and only about 30% contained, so people are being evacuated. Nothing to worry about here in town, though, except the smoke. After an 80 (!) degree day yesterday, it's supposed to snow this afternoon. It's so Colorado, but that weather should help the firefighters' efforts.

Here's a haiku for my gardening efforts yesterday.


Bags of Sheep and Peat
turned over to feed the soil
The peas are happy

5 comments:

  1. Nice start to the gardening season! (We're forecast 8" of snow today.) Wild fires are so scary. Here's hoping you get that moisture predicted to help put it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Franny's haiku for today:

    The dead squirrel:
    so ripe; so pungent,
    I roll in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MP - I saw your post about the weather. Glad you didn't get slammed.

    Hahahahahaha!!! Mary, you win, SIL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda- looks like you have a great start to your garden. I think I am going to try one box this year and see how it goes. Hope the smoke stays away. Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron - Yes! I think you'll like it, and the kids will too. I like having a soaker hose on a timer so I don't have to worry about forgetting to water. Let me know if I can help.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.