Sunday, February 28, 2010

I just forgot

My job allows me the flexibility to go see Mr W when he's in things at school during the school day. I've been good about attending the various functions for the last 3 1/2 years, and it usually feels to me like he doesn't really care one way or the other if I'm there. I get a a nod as the class files out, for example.

Boy, was I wrong. Last week, the third grade had their storytelling festival, and I completely forgot about it. The invitation was on the table, and I had it on my mental calendar that it was coming, but it passed me by. It wasn't until Friday night when I said something like, "when is that thing?", that I found out I missed it. He was mildly upset, "you said you'd be there", and "my heart just wasn't in it without you there". Ouch.

I gave him my reassurances that I would attend as many future events as I possibly could, and paid extra attention to him when he had his skating lesson the next day. That's right, I HAD my knitting, but CHOSE not to work on it. He was looking for it, too. I was up in the stands, and he'd look up occasionally and wave. It's funny, I really thought he didn't care one way or the other. He probably didn't, either, until I wasn't there.

I'm always trying to get Mr W interested in extra-curriculars, and we wandered around the pool-ice skating place for a while after his skating lesson yesterday. We walked into the pool area, and he was interested in watching... that's right, this is what caught his attention.... women's water polo. So many sports elicit absolutely nothing from him, I was a little surprised he wanted to watch this. He was impressed they tread water for the playing of the game (I was too, it looks like a difficult sport).

All in all, a very productive day yesterday. I got my mattress delivered, and got the bed assembled, and it's super comfortable. Getting the king sized bed that I had when I was married out of there and replacing it with a queen size has left some space in my bedroom, and I'll be on the lookout for a reading chair this spring at the garage sales. Whoop!

1 comment:

  1. My youngest has an annoying little habit of only mentioning things once and then waiting to 'catch' you forgetting. Mother of the Year will come up again next year, don't sweat this one too much!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.