Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Holiday Dosey-doe

No one comes to see me. And that's OK, my house is small, and I only have one bathroom. It puts the impetus on me, then, to be the one who travels if I want to see family over the holidays. Things have changed a lot since the holiday traditions we had when I was growing up. I think it's great that some families manage to do the same thing year after year, although some in those families might not agree with me.

This year, my brother invited my dad to come to MN to join them (well, us, since I'll be there, too) for Thanksgiving. It took a long time for him to decide, and in the end he's not going to go. I don't know what to think of that. My dad travels to Vegas a couple of times a year, but he's never been to my or my brother's house. Sorry, a little bit of sour grapes and this post isn't really about that.

After some "well, what should we do" moments, we are going to meet up at my younger brother's place in SC after Christmas. Thankfully, Mr W's dad and I aren't hung up on having to do things on Christmas proper, so it will be sort of a week long celebration for Mr W. He'll have Christmas with his dad, then with me, then we'll fly to SC and there might be a thing or two for him there as well.

So, yea! I will swallow hard and pony up the (last time I checked) $466 per person airfares. Since the airport is an hour and 15 minutes away, I think spending an extra $30 a ticket to take off at 7:30 is worth it. Mr W is an awesome traveler, although he lately doesn't like to fly. Such a different world it is. I took my first plane ride at 17 or 18, and my kid's been flying once or twice a year since he was an infant. We'll get to go to the beach! It'll be about 65 degrees, but still!

It's only money, you know? My family means a lot to me, and visits with them are special indeed. Although Graycie the campervan has developed a leak and I am taking her into the shop today, so there will be some expense there. Hopefully nothing drastic. "Oh, we just forgot to tighten a bolt, you're good". Ha ha. Yesterday, I saw my neighbor, who lives on the other end of the alley, and she said, "Is your van for sale?" I laughed, and said, "No, not yet." And she asked that we keep them in mind if I want to sell it.

I don't want to sell it, but it's good to know that I could recoup most of what I've put into it relatively easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.