Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Garden Season Gets Up To Speed

When we get rain here in CO, it's usually met with exclamations of "We need it!" and no one gets too bent out of shape. If it's actually raining, you'll see many people without an umbrella or a raincoat because there's usually a good chance that it won't rain. But we've had a couple of rainy days, and are forecasted to have a couple more for the rest of the week.

So you can appreciate my sense of satisfaction that I got vegetable plants and seeds in yesterday. What? No pictures? I know, I'll get out there this morning and get some. Our frost date is May 15th, so things should be fine. Out of the things I started by seed, I only planted a half-dozen broccoli starts. I don't know what happened, but things never thrived. Potting soil, peat pots, fluorescent light, heat mat, then real sun, it still wasn't enough. But they didn't damp off, and they are technically still alive, so maybe it's a nutrient thing. Anyone want to weigh in?

In other news, I've scheduled my once-every-five-years colonoscopy for next Tuesday. As the sibling of a person who had colon cancer, this will be a regular (well, every five years) thing. Friend D is able to get me home, and I'm so appreciative. It will be good to know. I think about how my sister had a tumor growing in her colon for years, and it went undetected because she was 'too young' to get colon cancer. Get your screenings, people.

5 comments:

  1. I HAVE MY 1ST EVER SCHEDULED FOR 6-15-YES EVERYTHING IS DONE OUT THAT FAR HERE UNLESS YOU ARE IN IMMEDIATE DANGER. I SHOULD GET MY BREAST MAMMOGRAM SCHEDULED AS WELL. THAT IS THE NASTY ONE THAT RUNS IN OUR FAMILY. 2 OUT OF 8 GILLS HAD IT SO WHAT ARE MY ODDS?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't give up on your broccoli. They may look worse after being set out because of transplant shock but they could still very well make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got my baseline colonoscopy two years ago. True to what I had heard, the prep is definitely the worst part. The procedure itself you get to sleep through, and I woke up hungry! Toast and coffee never tasted so good! I'll be thinking of you Tuesday, I hope all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy - I don't have any medical training, but my doctor did suggest that I look into genetic counseling to see if there's anything I should be tested for, given the rate of cancer in my immediate family. Certainly the breast cancer genes you could test for and then could see which variants of the gene you carry. Knowledge is power!!

    MP - they do look better after only a couple of days - plants seem to know what to do...

    Bellona - thanks. I'm hoping D brings coffee and a scone...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. Nasty stuff. I'm due in two years I think. My boss is getting his prostate removed today. Maybe we are in the wrong profession.

    RTK

    ReplyDelete

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.