Thursday, May 5, 2011

Knock Knock

I live in a safe neighborhood. I know my neighbors by name, and I feel safe here. Having a big dog who barks when people come to the door helps too. I've thought about adding more/better locks to my doors, but haven't done it yet.

I was in bed last night and had turned the light off around 10:45. I should mention that my bedroom is at the very front of the house, perhaps 10 feet from the sidewalk, and very close to the front door. I frequently hear soft voices of people walking by in the summer, and it's not a big deal.

At 11:03 last night, someone knocked on my door. Not hard, but knocked, and I could hear a male voice talking. I might not have heard it if my room was in the back of the house. The dog of course starts barking (good girl!) and I have this visceral reaction, where my heart starts pounding in my chest as I think about what I'm going to do if they force their way into my home. They also have flashlights, or headlamps, and I can see the light pass by my window several times. They knock a second time, the dog barks, and my heart starts pounding again. I work up the nerve to peek out the side window, not the front, and can see the light from the flashlight.

I wait, never even considering answering the door, and they go away after what seems like 10 minutes or so. Could it have been that long? I don't remember looking at the clock again. I laid back down and had a restless night's sleep.

What happened? I'm guessing it was a case of mistaken house identity, as there are several parallel streets in this area, all with old houses, and maybe they got the address mixed up. This put quite a scare in me, though, and I felt really vulnerable. Mr W was here too. But they didn't really want to get in, otherwise they could have. I've got a big pane of glass on the porch door, and a big old window on the porch that could both be broken if someone wanted in badly enough.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll go door shopping this weekend. I'm very happy with how the dog did her job, though. Good dog, Sally!

2 comments:

  1. wow -heart pounding for me too.It minds me of when I WAS 9-I HAD TO BABYSIT FOR MY OLDER SISTER AT HER HOME-THERE WAS A KNOCK-IT WAS ONLY 6 IN THE EVENING- I peeked around the hall corner to look out the glass pain next to the door. I could see a young man-now my heart was really pounding I DID NOT ANSWER THE DOOR THAT NIGHT-INSTEAD I CALLED MY MOM AND SAID I WAS SCARED OUT OF MY WITS AND COULD NOT DO THIS I'M TOO YOUNG TO BABYSIT. IT WAS OK THAT NIGHT,BUT ALL MY SISTER'S STILL KEPT COMING TO CALL FOR FOR ME TO SIT FOR THEM-NOW I'M OVER THE HILL BUT STILL MY HEART WILL POUND IF SOMEONE KNOCKS ON THE DOOR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take a little bit of comfort in the idea that if they really wanted to get into the house, they could have. I'm thankful for the dog and her loud bark. Sounds like you had a similar experience.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.