Thursday, May 26, 2011

More House Doings to Do

The garden is doing well, under Sally's careful supervision. I've since put the green fencing around most of the raised beds to keep her from snacking.

Memorial Day Weekend is coming up, and there's a good chance that the weather will be nice enough to do more work around the yard. I'm not sure what switched, but I feel the urge to get a few more things done before I can let myself go camping this summer. The list isn't long, but there are a few things yet that I need to do to make the place look presentable.

One thing that's always bugged me about the front of my house is the pea gravel that the previous owners put down around some pieces of flagstone to create a path that leads to the little porch and front door. If Blogger lets me upload a second picture here, I'll show it. OK, no luck yet. What I dislike about it is the extent to which the weeds just proliferate there. It looks terrible, and I end up spraying the weeds, which I don't want to do. So one of my projects for the weekend is to rake the gravel up, wash it off a bit (hopefully getting any hitchhiking weed seeds off) and putting it on the alley side of the 4 x 4 timbers I lined the alley garden with.


There we go, I was able to upload the photo. You can see the weeds around the flagstone pieces above. There's not all that much gravel there, but I'll replace it with mulch, and then pull out some of the volunteer plants that have proliferated in that semi-circular area where the dead ornamental grass is. Then I'll plant a few more plants (thinking about a bunch of Blue Flax, which grows wild around here). I lost my awesome Penstemmons over the dry winter, which made their own little hybrid zone that was fun to watch each year.

I'm rambling, sorry. I need to also paint that little porch thing, which is down to the bare wood on the horizontal part. I think I'll paint it with something that shows that it's wood (as opposed to outright paint), and then am planning to paint the picket fence white at some point in the near future. Then, I'm good to get out and do some camping.

I've got a couple of social things to do as well, which is good. I got invited to a party by a woman in my Spin class, who happens to live just a couple of blocks away from me. They are big into the local music scene, so they'll have actual live entertainment by people I've heard of (coooool). Then I'm going to get together with my friend J in Denver, who has just had her oldest graduate from high school and is busy busy and we need to catch up.

I sent P, the person I met while hiking, an email saying that I was done. I told him it was the distance (he lives an hour away), which it was, but I'm afraid I didn't feel a click with him either. At least initially, we'd only be able to get together every other weekend - twice a month - and it made me realize I need to look closer to home. Who knows what will happen, but it feels more right to try to find someone I can have lunch with during the week, and see on the weeknights I have free. So, the search continues, and it will happen when it happens. With the job stuff occupying my mind, it doesn't seem so urgent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, sorry to make the humans do an extra step.